PSYCHEDLIC FURS, THE
Item no. :XRYCD027 Barcode :0823564036458 Artist :PSYCHEDLIC FURS, THE Product type :Compact Disc Label :X-RAY Release Date :07 October 2022
RARELY HEARD 1982 BROADCAST FROM AN EARLY US FURS SHOW
• Already a popular act in London and New York City when this remarkable show by The Psychedelic Furs was both performed, and
indeed recorded for live transmission by the King Biscuit Flower Hour in late 1982, the gig came about a year after the band broke
through in the US. With Richard and Tim Butler as the core members of the band, Richard's undeniable stage charisma is one factor in
what made The Psychedelic Furs such a remarkable live band.
• The group was making its way into the American music mainstream with songs like "Love My Way," "Sister Europe," and "Into You
Like a Train," all performed here with high impact, having formed in the UK in 1977 with Richard and his brother bassist. They soon
added the rest of the band and started making a splash on the then thriving UK new wave/post punk club circuit.
In the US, the band was quickly adopted by the new medium of MTV. This exposure secured their footing stateside, and as alternative
radio formats began to take over, the Furs were amongst the most popular bands of the era. The support of Columbia Records' giant
promotional department didn't hurt either.
• Many of the band's songs became staples in a crop of new "brat pack" movies, including "Pretty in Pink," which inspired the teen film
of the same name.
• One listen to this show and it will be clear where the band got its inspiration; David Bowie, Roxy Music, and The Sex Pistols. Musically,
they sit closest to classic-era Roxy, especially with the sax fills of Duncan Kilbourn, who often mirror's Roxy sax-man Andy MacKay's
style. But it is lead vocalist Richard Butler who guides the band's direction with his distinct vocals (combining a Berlin-era Bowie with
the cynical breath of Johnny Lydon.)
• By 1986, the band was down to a quartet and after working with Todd Rundgren, they essentially became a vehicle for the two Butler
brothers. The group split in 1991, and Richard Butler launched a new group, Love Spit Love, which never took hold despite two
critically acclaimed albums.
• The Psychedelic Furs reunited in 2000 and have remained together on and off since then.
1 Into You Like A Train 6:50
2 President Gas 5:25
3 Merry Go Round 4:53
4 Angels 4:46
5 Pretty In Pink 4:25
6 Run And Run 4:47
7 Love My Way 4:00
8 Sister Europe 5:29
9 Dumb Waiters 4:27
10 Danger 2:51
11 No Easy Street 5:21
12 Sleep Comes Down 4:52
13 Mr. Jones 4:03
14 Forever Now 5:29
15 Imitation Of Christ 4:09
16 India 6:51
NEW RELEASE INFORMA