AN AFTERNOON IN PHILLY
Item no. :ICON090 Barcode :0823564036380 Artist :IAN ANDERSON Product type :Compact Disc Label :ICONOGRAPHY Release Date :07 October 2022
STUNNING IN HOUSE SESSIONS FROM IAN ANDERSON WHILE ON THE DIVINITIES TOUR
• Best known, of course, for his work as lead vocalist, flautist, acoustic guitarist and leader of Jethro Tull, Ian Anderson is a multiinstrumentalist who, in addition to flute and acoustic guitar, plays keyboards, electric guitar, bass, bouzouki, balalaika, saxophone,
harmonica and a variety of whistles. His solo work began with the 1983 album Walk into Light; since when he has released another
five works, including the sequel to the Jethro Tull album Thick as a Brick (1972) in 2012, titled Thick as a Brick 2.
• Anderson was planning to start a solo career in 1980, while Jethro Tull was taking a break following the death of bassist John
Glascock in 1979, and wrote the album A as a solo record. But Tull’s Martin Barre ended up participating, and Dave Pegg played bass.
Record company pressure forced the record to be released under the Jethro Tull name. His first official solo album was Walk into
Light, in 1983 therefore, on which new Tull member Peter-John Vettese played an important role in the electronic direction of the
• In 1995, Anderson released his second solo album, Divinities: Twelve Dances with God, an instrumental work composed of twelve
flute-heavy pieces pursuing varied themes with an underlying motif. The album was recorded with Jethro Tull keyboard player Andrew
Giddings and orchestral musicians.
• While promoting the new record, Ian and band began playing the album live by the middle of May ’95, firstly across Europe, concluding
the leg at London’s Shepherds Bush Empire on 25th May. The group then decamped to North America, where they fulfilled a busy
schedule, playing 17 shows across the USA in as many days.
• On 6th June, Anderson and group had probably their busiest day of all on the Divinities tour. Not only did they perform a marvellous
show in the evening at The Tower Theatre in Upper Derby, Philadelphia, but during the afternoon of the same day, the guys attended
Philly FM stations WMMR and WXPN where they both chatted and played live in the respective studios for live FM transmission
across the state. Performing completely unplugged, the band played both cuts from the new record and a number of Tull classics, and
with the full interview segments included too, this new CD contains both sessions in full here for the first time.
1 WMMR-FM Interview (Part 1) 1:54
2 Life Is A Long Song 3:27
3 WMMR-FM Interview (Part 2) 10:59
4 In Sight Of The Minaret 3:53
5 WMMR-FM Interview (Part 3) 3:33
6 Cheap Day Return 1:23
7 Wond’ring Aloud 1:50
8 WMMR-FM (Interview (Part 4) 8:08
9 In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff 2:46
10 WMMR-FM Interview (Part 5) 0:57
11 Aqualung 7:43
12 WXPN Intro/Jack-In-The-Green 4:44
13 WXPN Interview (Part 1) 1:32
14 In Sight Of The Minaret 3:54
15 WXPN Interview (Part 2) 2:40